Assisi in Umbria, Things to do and tours
Assisi is a beautiful hill town in central Italy’s Umbria region. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was the birthplace of St. Francis (1181–1226), one of Italy’s patron saints. The town is a popular tourist destination, thanks to its rich history, stunning architecture, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
Things to do in Assisi
- Visit the Basilica di San Francesco. This is the most famous landmark in Assisi and is a must-see for any visitor. The basilica is home to the tomb of St. Francis and is decorated with beautiful frescoes by Giotto and Cimabue.
- Explore the town’s medieval streets. Assisi is a well-preserved medieval town with narrow streets, winding staircases, and charming piazzas. Take a walk through the town and wander off the beaten path to discover hidden gems.
- Visit the Temple of Minerva. This ancient Roman temple was built in the 1st century BC and is one of the best-preserved temples in Italy. The temple is now a museum and houses a collection of Roman artifacts.
- Hike up Monte Subasio. This mountain offers stunning views of Assisi and the surrounding countryside. There are several hiking trails that lead to the summit, and the views from the top are well worth the effort.
- Take a cooking class. Assisi is known for its delicious food, and there are several cooking classes available that teach you how to make traditional Umbrian dishes.
- Visit the Santa Chiara Basilica. This beautiful basilica is dedicated to St. Clare, a follower of St. Francis. The basilica is home to a beautiful cloister and a museum with a collection of religious art.
- Go wine tasting. Umbria is a wine-producing region, and there are several wineries located near Assisi that offer wine tastings.
Tours in Assisi
There are several tours available in Assisi that can help you make the most of your visit. These tours include:
- Walking tours: These tours take you through the town’s historical center and give you a glimpse of its rich history.
- Glorious Assisi tour: This tour takes you to the most important religious sites in Assisi, including the Basilica di San Francesco, the Basilica di Santa Chiara, and the Porziuncola.
- Monte Subasio hike: This tour takes you up Monte Subasio and offers stunning views of Assisi and the surrounding countryside.
- Wine tasting tour: This tour takes you to several wineries in the area and gives you the opportunity to sample some of Umbria’s finest wines.
How to get to Assisi
Assisi is located in central Italy, about 150 kilometers from Rome. There are several ways to get to Assisi, including:
- By train: There is a train station in Assisi that is served by trains from Rome, Florence, and other major Italian cities.
- By bus: There are several bus companies that offer bus service to Assisi from Rome, Florence, and other major Italian cities.
- By car: Assisi is easily accessible by car from Rome, Florence, and other major Italian cities.
When to visit Assisi
The best time to visit Assisi is during the spring or fall, when the weather is mild. The town can be crowded during the summer months, so if you want to avoid the crowds, it is best to visit during the off-season.
Planning your trip to Assisi
If you are planning a trip to Assisi, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Book your accommodation in advance: Assisi is a popular tourist destination, so it is best to book your accommodation in advance, especially if you are traveling during the peak season.
- Pack comfortable shoes: There is a lot of walking involved in visiting Assisi, so be sure to pack comfortable shoes.
- Bring a hat and sunscreen: The weather in Assisi can be hot in the summer, so be sure to bring a hat and sunscreen.
- Learn about the town’s history and culture: Assisi has a rich history and culture, so be sure to learn about it before you visit.
I hope this post has inspired you to visit Assisi, a beautiful town in central Italy.